Dentures are removable dental appliances that can replace natural teeth. There are many reasons that people choose to get dentures in the Atlanta area. Knowing the reasons behind dentures and what dentures can do for you can help you decide whether or not dentures are the right type of dental appliance for your needs. At Peachtree Smile Center in Atlanta, GA, we help educate our patients about the benefits of dentures.
Dentures help in a variety of ways! For people who are missing teeth or who have unhealthy painful teeth, dentures can give you the look and feel of real teeth, without the pain or discomfort. Dentures help patients by allowing them to:
- Maintain normal facial structure. Without teeth in place, your mouth will sag around your gums. Having teeth in your mouth allows you to keep a normal facial structure.
- Eat properly. Eating with missing teeth or painful, infected teeth can be difficult or even impossible. Patients who have dental problems often end up eating softer foods and less healthy foods to avoid tooth pain or discomfort. Having dentures enables patients to eat normally.
- Smile normally. Nothing compares to a smile full of beautiful, white, healthy teeth.
Types of Dentures
At Peachtree Smile Center in Atlanta, we provide three different types of dentures to meet our patients needs.
- Complete dentures. Complete dentures are designed to replace all the teeth in the mouth. Patients who have complete dentures have no more natural teeth left. Any teeth left in the mouth when the patient makes the decision to get dentures are removed by the dentist.
- Partial dentures. Partial dentures are designed to replace some missing teeth, but not all. The edges of the dentures have metal clasps that fit around the remaining natural teeth in the mouth to hold the teeth in place.
- Implant supported dentures. Implant-supported dentures are attached to implants, which help hold them in place. These dentures are an option for patients only if they have enough bone left in the jaw to support implants.
Common Myths about Dentures
Dentures are often misunderstood by many people in the community. Below are a few common misconceptions that people have about dentures:
- People can tell when you're wearing dentures. Dentures are made to look just like natural teeth! Most people cannot tell dentures from real teeth.
- Dentures make eating difficult. Patients that get dentures will have to adjust to
eating with them otherwise we can add implants to the process to secure the dentures in
- Dentures simplify life again. At Peachtree Smile Center, we improve the quality of life for those in need of dentures in Atlanta! We'll help you have a beautiful, natural smile and regain functionality!